|The Smithfield terminus that skirted round the meat market. The 679, here on a short working to Edmonton, normally went out to the fringes of London at Waltham Cross and was one of the longer routes.|
By the 1950s buses seemed much more flexible. Although slightly more expensive to run this was offset by the costs of re-wiring streets as an increasing number of one-way systems were introduced. The decision was made to scrap the system.
The nearest termini to the Hall were Finsbury Circus from where long distance routes ran to the northern edge of London, principally Edgware and Enfield, and Liverpool Street that reached out into the East End. Starting in 1959 the routes were gradually withdrawn and during 1961 the last services were replaced by buses. The Moorgate and Holborn termini closed in November 1961, the last ones to remain open serving the City.
|A 641 from Enfield on the City Road just short of Finsbury Square|
|Finsbury Square late autumn 1961 and for a few days brand new Routemaster buses bear trolleybus route numbers; in this case as a 609 to Barnet. A 641 arrives in from Enfield. Photograph courtesy Geoff Bannister.|